Mystic Ballet

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Morgan Beckwith: Southport, CT


Here we go...
With a Dunkin Donuts in walking distance from the apartment complex and the overwhelmingly pleasant salty morning air I was ready to greet my 8:30am ballet class with some vigor. After spending most of the night before developing a lesson plan that I felt was catered toward their age and ability I was anxious to execute it without faltering. I’d like to say I accomplished this while also making a few strange jokes that the girls seemed to appreciate. After the hour and fifteen-minute class I taught the girls some of the Paquitavariation. It will certainly be a challenge teaching them a ten-minute rendition of Paquita in just thirty minuets a day for a month. But they seem the grasp the material very quickly!
My younger girls really took to the combination I taught them today. The ballet mistress and director of the school “Coco” indicated that I could experiment with this class, but it might be fun to do a little something jazzy for their final performance. So I decided I had to use the new Gatsby soundtrack for a little 20’s inspired combination. I went with Fergie’s “A Little Party Never Killed Nobody” (drastically different from the Paquita score I had been using just a couple of minutes earlier) and created a playfully jazzy combination for their first day.
Goran and I have decided to meet for at least thirty minutes a day for a discussion based research session. I hope to come to these meetings with thought-provoking questions and I plan on recording these sessions then transcribing the meat of the conversation here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment